Sunday, May 17, 2009

Almodovar del Rio

I really enjoy a good castle and Almodovar del Rio has a great one. The oldest parts of Almodovar Castle date back to the time of the Moorish kingdoms of Andalucía (most likely 8th century). It saw its fair share of battles and changed hands several times. It even saw some action in the 1930’s during the Spanish Civil war; at the time it was already over a thousand years old! At the turn of the 20th century, the castle’s owner, the Count of Torralba, started extensive restorations of the castle. It is thanks to him that the castle is in the condition it is in today. I’ve always wanted to build my own castle and I think the Count of Torralba did a great job deciding what to change and what to keep. It is now on my list of my favorite top ten castles in Spain. If you are in Cordoba you really should take the time to visit the Castillo de Almodóvar del Rio.

Almodovar Castle

Almodovar Castle

One of the many gates in Almodovar Castle

A Knight in Almodovar Castle

Butterfly Battlements - Almodovar Castle

Almodovar Castle

No comments: