Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Portland

I was in Portland, Oregon, for a very quick visit. So, there isn’t too much to say. But two things happened that I feel are worth mentioning. The first was eating at the Peruvian restaurant Andina. The food made me think about all the fun times I’ve had in Peru. It is interesting how a taste or smell can trigger a memory that you otherwise might not remember.

The other thing that I think is worth mentioning has to do with dogs. I was at a park along the river in Portland when I saw a guy and his Great Dane walk by. It was an impressive animal and they went down to the river and the guy would throw a large branch in the water and the dog would go get it. I’ve thought about getting a dog before and I like Great Danes. So, I enjoyed watching them. It made me think of my nephew and a conversation we had earlier this year. I told him that I was thinking about getting a dog and that I wondered what kind he thought I should get. He got an excited smile on his face and told me I should get a poodle. I wasn’t too excited about that idea and told him that I think a dog should be similar to its master and that I didn’t really consider myself poodle-like. He thought about this for a minute and then exclaimed that I should get, “a weenie dog!” LOL He explained that since I’m tall and long that would be a good dog for me. It still makes me smile thinking about that story and honestly I like weenie dogs too. :)

Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

1 comment:

The Ollies said...

Ha, ha! That is a great story. I guess now that you're in Spain you're never going to email me back!!! Have fun!