Friday, April 3, 2009

Denton, Texas

After my painfully long trip from Salt Lake City to Texas, I was pleasantly surprised with Denton. I spoke at the University of North Texas in the morning and spent the afternoon talking with people at the workshop. Then in the evening we went to El Gaupo's mexican restaurant and ate some good food. We also walked around Denton Square which is the heart of the historic downtown area. Its a charming place with losts of interesting shops, art, and buildings. I took a few pictures, enjoyed the pleasant weather, and then headed back to my hotel because I was feeling the effects of only three hours of sleep on the red-eye flight to Atlanta. On the way back to the hotel, we passed through some neighborhoods that were full of beautiful old houses. It would be nice to have an old place like that to fix up some day. Overall I liked Denton and think I might go back there someday. (Upper Right: Old Courthouse on Denton Square)

Lights on the square

I really liked this sculpture by David Iles called "November Devil"

"November Devil" sculpture by David Iles

No comments: