Thursday, August 9, 2007

Tarragona

Just south of Barcelona lays my favorite Catalan City, Tarragona. In its hay-day, Tarragona was the roman regional capital and they say that Pontius Pilot (the infamous hand washer) was born here. The original roman walls are still in place (I had to write a report on them when I was studying Ancient Spanish History in La Rioja). The gothic cathedral is dedicated to Saint Tecla (Her symbol is a gothic T on a shield and so it is a bit of an ego boost for me (Tim) to go visit the T-encrusted cathedral). The city also has a very pleasant beach with great sand castle building potential. I would have to say that Tarragona is a wonderful place to escape the hustle and bustle of the world and enjoy a good sized city that is full of history and beauty. Visit Tarragona if you get the chance!

No comments: